Search this site:

Stanford in the Vale
Community Website

The Village
Home Page
Events
News
Newsletters
Photos
Map & Directions
Walks
History
Panoramic Photo

Community
Stanford Chat!

Directory
Amenities / Shops
Businesses A-H
Businesses I-Q
Businesses R-Z
Clubs & Societies
Entertainment
First Responders
Food and Drink
Neighbourhood Plan
Our MP
Parish Council
PPC
Recycling Centre
Transport
Twinning Association
Schools & Playgroups
Social Club
St. Denys' Church
United Reformed Church
Village Hall
Women's Institute
Where to stay
Useful Numbers

Extras
Local Websites

Site Info
Contribute
Add Your Business
Contact Webmaster

Stay up to date on local events - join our mailing list
E-mail:


An Outline History of Stanford in the Vale

Browse Chapters:
Introduction
Prehistory
Romano-British
Anglo-Saxon
Domesday Stanford
Medieval Stanford
Reformation and Tudor Stanford
Civil War Stanford
Early Modern Stanford
19th Century Stanford
The First World War
The Inter-War Years
The Second World War
Post-War Stanford
 
Church and Chapel
Schools and Libraries
Civic Administration
Newsletters
Health and Social Services, and Young People
Village Halls
Fairs, Festivals and Fetes
Clubs and Societies
Businesses
Acknowledgements & Further Reading
 
Additional articles:
BBC Domesday 1986
Church Green Fire 2005
Coat Of Arms
Virtual Tour 2002

The First World War

Of the approximately 144 men from Stanford who served in land, sea and air forces in the First World War of 1914-18, 19 were killed or died of injuries (of the 15 we have traced, 9 were buried in France, 3 in Belgium, 1 in Germany, 1 in Stanford; 1 in India; and the name of 1 appears on Chatham Naval Memorial). The names of those who died, and who appear on the village’s War Memorial, are:

  • Harry Belcher
  • John B. Brown
  • Athelstan Chamberlayne – Lieutenant Colonel, 14th January 1920
  • Hubert S. Cox – Stoker 2nd Class, Royal Navy, 27th May 1915
  • Albert Franklin
  • Ernest Franklin
  • Walter Forrest
  • George Greenaway
  • Arthur Hawkins
  • Robert Jennings
  • Sidney Norton
  • Harry Pendell – Private, 9th May 1917
  • Walter Simpson – Private, 15th November 1914
  • Tom Timms – Private, 18th August 1916
  • Edward Titchener – Private, 28th March 1917
  • Harry Varney
  • William Varney – Private, 15th October 1918
  • F.W. Jones – Machine Gun Corps, 4th December 1920
  • Frank Timms – Lance Corporal, 21st May 1917 (not on memorial)

Download a detailed list here, with thanks to Valerie Andrews.

The needs of an economy at war would have been keenly felt in a small rural community, with many local men and women working the land. German prisoners of war were encamped on the site of the old quarry on the western side of the Wantage-Faringdon Road, going out to work on local farms. A family of Belgian refugees was housed at Bow Cottages.

The Mission Hall in the garden of Rectory Lodge was sold for Red Cross work, taken down and re-erected in Abingdon. The Crown Prince Inn (now Campdene House) changed its name to simply The Prince, a result of anti-German sentiment.

The waterwheel of Stanford's Upper Mill stopped turning at the outbreak of the First World War; that of the Lower Mill stopped just after the Second World War, with its last miller being Teddy Robins.

<< Previous: 19th Century Stanford Next: The Inter-War Years >>

This is a non-profit site. Content has been submitted by residents of the village.