Search this site:

Stanford in the Vale
Community Website

The Village
Home Page
Events
News
Newsletters
Photos
Map & Directions
Walks
History
Panoramic Photo

Community
Stanford Chat!

Directory
Amenities / Shops
Businesses A-H
Businesses I-Q
Businesses R-Z
Clubs & Societies
Entertainment
First Responders
Food and Drink
Neighbourhood Plan
Our MP
Parish Council
PPC
Recycling Centre
Transport
Twinning Association
Schools & Playgroups
Social Club
St. Denys' Church
United Reformed Church
Village Hall
Women's Institute
Where to stay
Useful Numbers

Extras
Local Websites

Site Info
Contribute
Add Your Business
Contact Webmaster

Stay up to date on local events - join our mailing list
E-mail:


An Outline History of Stanford in the Vale

Browse Chapters:
Introduction
Prehistory
Romano-British
Anglo-Saxon
Domesday Stanford
Medieval Stanford
Reformation and Tudor Stanford
Civil War Stanford
Early Modern Stanford
19th Century Stanford
The First World War
The Inter-War Years
The Second World War
Post-War Stanford
 
Church and Chapel
Schools and Libraries
Civic Administration
Newsletters
Health and Social Services, and Young People
Village Halls
Fairs, Festivals and Fetes
Clubs and Societies
Businesses
Acknowledgements & Further Reading
 
Additional articles:
BBC Domesday 1986
Church Green Fire 2005
Coat Of Arms
Virtual Tour 2002

Health and Social Services, and Young People

Dora Kinnear was the last district nurse and midwife in the village, from 1965 until 1979, when she retired; she lived at 52 Joyce's Road, which had been built as a nurse's home by Berkshire Health Department in 1962.

The house at 7 Manor Green built in about 1964 was also bought from the builders by Berks. Health Department as a nurse's home for Elizabeth Robins, and had a weekly baby clinic, with Dr. Graham Scott-Brown of Faringdon being the last to use it as such in 1984, at which time the clinic moved to the new Village Hall; before all this, the baby clinic was held in the Working Men's Club, later in St. Denys' Hall.

In about 1965, the cottage hospital in Faringdon was converted into surgeries for the new health centre. Before Nurses Robins and Kinnear came to Stanford, the village had been served, from at least 1935 to at least the 1950's, by Nurse Maud Speed, S.RN., S.C.M, who lived at 26 Church Green (before moving to Shellingford, and then to Faringdon), and then, in the early 1960's, by Nurse Stockdale, who lived in Wantage.

Nichol's Wantage and District Directory of 1914 mentions the Stanford and District Nursing Association with a Mrs. Marriott, presumably of the rectory, as the Honourable Secretary, and a Miss Roberts as District Nurse. In 1916 the Honourable Secretary was Mrs. Huntingford, wife of the Vicar, Rev. Edward Wynne Huntingford, with Miss Jenkins as District Nurse. The District Nurse in 1928 was Miss Caroline J. Bran, in 1931 Miss Doris Herrington and in 1933 Miss Hilda Kitching.

The Pre-School Playgroup Association was formed in the village in 1970, with Brenda Codd as its first chairman, and an informal Mother & Baby Group started meeting in 1975, becoming the Mother & Child Group in 1978 (although a Toddler Group had existed in 1977) and later the Babes & Toddlers Group. Although the committees for both groups continue to meet separately, for administrative purposes the two groups were merged as the Stanford in the Vale Playgroup and Toddler Group Association in 1995.A nursery school opened at Stanford Primary school in May 1996. A Babysitting Circle operated in the village from 1977 to about 1991. A Pre-School Music Group, Gym Bobs and Tumble Tots have been some of the activities available for young children now or in the recent past.

The Stanford in the Vale Scout Group reformed in 1971, although Scouts and Cubs in the village have a longer history, sometimes associated with Uffington, sometimes separate. The Stanford Guides trace their history to about 1924, with an unbroken presence in the village since about 1954.

A Watch Group for 7- to 11-year-old children interested in nature and the environment was founded by Margaret Grant in conjunction with the School in 1987.

Since 1990, the southeast area of the churchyard has been set aside as a wildlife sanctuary, and is monitored as a conservation project by members.

A Youth Club has existed at various times in the village, in the 1950's at St. Denys' Hall, then again in the late 1960s until about 1977, being reformed in 1980 and continuing, together with a Junior Youth Club, in the Village Hall until about 1993.

There are and have been a number of clubs and activities run by St. Denys' church for children and youth, including most recently Scramblers, J- Team, Pathfinders and Freeway.


This is a non-profit site. Content has been submitted by residents of the village.