Search this site:

Stanford in the Vale
Community Website

The Village
Home Page
Events
News
Newsletters
Photos
Map & Directions
Walks
History
Panoramic Photo

Community
Stanford Chat!

Directory
Amenities / Shops
Businesses A-H
Businesses I-Q
Businesses R-Z
Clubs & Societies
Entertainment
First Responders
Food and Drink
Neighbourhood Plan
Our MP
Parish Council
PPC
Recycling Centre
Transport
Twinning Association
Schools & Playgroups
Social Club
St. Denys' Church
United Reformed Church
Village Hall
Women's Institute
Where to stay
Useful Numbers

Extras
Local Websites

Site Info
Contribute
Add Your Business
Contact Webmaster

Stay up to date on local events - join our mailing list
E-mail:


An Outline History of Stanford in the Vale

Browse Chapters:
Introduction
Prehistory
Romano-British
Anglo-Saxon
Domesday Stanford
Medieval Stanford
Reformation and Tudor Stanford
Civil War Stanford
Early Modern Stanford
19th Century Stanford
The First World War
The Inter-War Years
The Second World War
Post-War Stanford
 
Church and Chapel
Schools and Libraries
Civic Administration
Newsletters
Health and Social Services, and Young People
Village Halls
Fairs, Festivals and Fetes
Clubs and Societies
Businesses
Acknowledgements & Further Reading
 
Additional articles:
BBC Domesday 1986
Church Green Fire 2005
Coat Of Arms
Virtual Tour 2002

The Inter-War Years

Businesses associated with the motor trade first appear in directories in the 1920s, with Harry Albion Cox becoming an agent for bicycles and motor cars, William Henry Day setting up as a motor cab proprietor and cycle agent, and William Clay expanding his haulage contractor business. By the 1930s there was a garage in the village, Stanford Garage, first owned by Arthur George Weeks, then A W. Anderton & J. Copland. Mr. Day had expanded his business to include a petrol station, and George Robinson had a motor hire service. His father Charlie is reputed to have had the first car in the village, a Benz, also used as a taxi.

Change was also appearing with increased mechanisation of agriculture. Local businesses associated with horse conveyance, such as saddlers and harness-makers, had largely ceased by the 1930s when William Carter's name last appears in the directories. However, the blacksmith and wheelwright, George Robinson, and Isaac T. Smith & Sons, continued until after the war, by which time the horse-drawn plough had largely been replaced by the tractor.

Telephone numbers first appear in the directories between 1924 and 1928. Electricity arrived in the village in about 1936-37, put in by the Wessex Electricity Company. Before the First World War, the Puzeys were probably the largest employer in the village, with men and women employed at the Brickworks at Bow and at their farms at Penstones, Chinham and Bow.

Pendell & Spinage (building contractors) was founded after the First World War by George Pendell and John Spinage, and they became the biggest employers in the village in the 1930s-1950s, employing at one time more than a hundred people directly, in addition to subcontractors. Pendell & Spinage's main premises were on Horsecroft and Sheards Lane, and in addition to their building work they owned land and property in the parish, and quarried locally at Gainfield, Shellingford and the site recently closed to tipping on the Faringdon Road, the latter from the late 1930s to about 1949. Also, they had a role assumed at one time by Knapp's, that of the village undertakers.

<< Previous: The Great War Next: The Second World War >>

This is a non-profit site. Content has been submitted by residents of the village.